Microsoft’s first in-person appearance since 2019 will be at Gamescom, and the company has just announced the Xbox lineup for the event.
Microsoft has provided details regarding its upcoming participation in the Gamescom 2022 convention, which will take place in Cologne, Germany, toward the end of this month.
This year’s event will be Microsoft’s first in-person showing at Gamescom since 2019, but it will also offer a live-streamed presentation for the benefit of those who can’t attend (which, let’s be honest, is most of us). The presentation will include interviews and gameplay from multiple studios and games.
On August 25, the Livestream of the Xbox Booth at Gamescom will begin at 5 am PT/8 am ET (keep in mind that the event is being held in Europe) and will continue until 11 am PT/2 pm ET.
In addition to the broadcast in English, the event will also be made available in the following languages: German, French, Polish, Italian, Spanish (Latin American & Castilian), Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (Simplified).
Additionally, American Sign Language (ASL), British Sign Language (BSL), and American Sign Language (DGS) interpretation, as well as English Audio Descriptions, will be provided.
Closer to the event, a more comprehensive schedule will be made available, but in the meantime, here is “a taste of what to expect:”
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio / Xbox Game Studios Publishing)
- Gunfire Reborn (Duoyi Games / 505 Games)
- Sea of Thieves (Rare Games / Xbox Game Studios)
- Lies of P (Neowiz)
- High On Life (Squanch Games)
- Grounded (Obsidian Entertainment / Xbox Game Studios)
- Pentiment (Obsidian Entertainment / Xbox Game Studios)
- A Plague Tale: Requiem (Asobo Studio / Focus Entertainment)
- Minecraft Legends (Mojang Studios & Blackbird Interactive / Xbox Game Studios)
- Planet of Lana (Wishfully / Thunderful)
- Age of Empires 4 (Relic Entertainment & World’s Edge / Xbox Game Studios)
There is some material there that captivates one’s interest. Pentiment, a 16th-century narrative adventure that is currently being developed by Obsidian, is probably at the top of my list, but Lies of P, the Pinnochio Bloodborne-alike, also looks like it has a lot of darkly promising potential.
Everyone is waiting for a closer look at Minecraft Legends, the real-time strategy spinoff of Minecraft. Another independent platformer that will be released later this year that I have high hopes for is called Planet of Lana.
Microsoft will have a variety of games available for public play at Gamescom (including Lies of P and Planet of Lana), as well as the opportunity to have your picture taken with, among other creatures, the VASCO robot from Starfield and a five-meter-wide Broodmother spider from Grounded if that is something that interests you.
For those who are unable to attend Gamescom in person, Microsoft will have a variety of games available for public play, including Planet of Lana and Lies of P. Here is the schedule for when you can enter:
- Thursday, August 25 – 10:00 am – 8:00 pm CEST
- Friday, August 26 – 10:00 am – 8:00 pm CEST
- Saturday, August 27 – 9:00 am – 8:00 pm CEST
- Sunday, August 28 – 9:00 am – 8:00 pm CEST
On August 23, at 11 am PT and 2 pm ET, Geoff Keighley will host his Opening Night Live show. The show will begin at 11 am PT and 2 pm ET. Gamescom 2022 will then begin in earnest.
The Future Games Show will take place at the same time on August 24 and will feature a showcase of 50 games that have been developed by a variety of different studios. Our good friends at GamesRadar will be hosting this event.